Monday, April 1, 2013

March 20, 2013

Yesterday I ended up cooking Tom Yum Goong for dinner. I read somewhere about shrimp and that seemed to ring a bell. Tom Yum soup was also the absolute go to food back when I smoked and didn’t feel like eating. I am never without ingredients for it in the freezer, so it took twenty minutes to have it ready. 

The surprise was the amount of lime I used — after a day of coffee and OJ, I still craved lime! And I drank OJ, too.

Today, again, coffee, OJ, Tom Yum, coffee, OJ, grenadine juice, coffee, Tom Yum.

Do I not have sufficient acid in my stomach? What’s going on?

But then again, if I don’t, maybe it’s a signal.

“Thank you very much, you can stop eating for a while!”

That’s some diet…

Of course I could lose weight like this and have fun in the process! Actually, I did lose some weight these past few days, effortlessly.

I am at the weight I used to have before Paleo. 61. I ate everything then, gluten foods included, and this was a point of homeostasis, I found it easy to stay stable at this weight. On Peat I had come to think 62.5 was the stable point. I guess not anymore. On Paleo, I was stable at 58, but I had low stamina and would frequently get really tired.

I went shopping for food. Nothing looked appetizing, except for a dark chocolate mousse. I took it… And the OJ, of course, and ingredients for beef broth, in the hope I will get over this.

Now I’m eating my chocolate mousse almost out of duty.

Strange things have happened to me on this diet.

Cravings I thought I would always experience have suddenly disappeared. How can pass by the ice cream section without as much as a blink?

My favorite chocolate is in the fridge, unopened. I cannot be bothered with any cheese — actually, I am fed up with all of them.

Wine and alcohol have stopped sounding attractive on their own. They were always a welcome proposition when I was starved for energy on Paleo.

When all the things you’ve ever craved are suddenly the only things you can eat, you party for a while like mad, and then you settle. You get to see them as simply food. You’ll need them when you’ll need them, right? Peat is a genius.

These days I have read a medical book from the 1800s and a ton of other papers on PubMed. I’m becoming a PubMed addict.


After all this reading, coming back to Ray Peat’s articles is kind of strange. They seemed so scholarly and awesome. I am almost afraid to read them again. But I shall.

No comments:

Post a Comment